This page will guide you through the cool things you can do with all of the great services Google offers and how to make the most of Google on your Jetpack-activated WordPress blog!
Here is a list of things you can do:
- Post Comments using your Google+ Account
- Connect to your Google+ Profile
- Share to Google+ from posts and pages
- Embed Google Content
- What about adding Google+ to Publicize?
Post Comments using your Google+ Account
When you want to post a comment on a blog using Jetpack Comments, you can post as a guest (where you enter your own details), use your WordPress.com account, or use one of your other social accounts. When you use a social account like Google+, we’ll automatically use your name and email address from that site, and will grab your profile picture and URL to associate with your comment. Read more about our commenting options.
Connect to your Google+ Profile
When you connect to your Google+ Profile, we’ll create an official connection between Jetpack and your Google+ account. This helps Google understand who created certain pages and may be used to help increase the accuracy of search results, and improve the appearance of your pages in Google’s results pages.
Note: Google+ doesn’t allow you to connect to a Google+ Business Page. You will only be able to connect to your personal Google+ Profile.
Connecting your Google+ Profile
- Head to Settings → Sharing in your dashboard.
- Below the list of social connections, click the Sign In button displaying the g+ logo.
- In the pop-up, click the Accept button to allow your Jetpack site to connect to your Google+ Profile.
- Once authorized, you’ll see your Google+ Profile image, your name, and a confirmation that you’re connected.
Disconnecting your Google+ Profile
- Head to Settings → Sharing in your dashboard.
- Locate your Google+ Profile image and name.
- Click the red “x” next to the word Connected.
- Agree to the prompt asking you to confirm you wish to disconnect your Google+ Profile.
- Note that disconnecting your Google+ Profile will also disconnect any existing Publicize connection that automatically shares posts from your blog to your Google+ Profile.
Google+ Profile Connection Features
- The display name that appears on your posts and comments will display your Google+ Real Name (the name you have on your Google+ Profile). If you change your name on Google+ you will need to disconnect and reconnect from your dashboard to update it here. Note that disconnecting your site from Google+ will revert the name shown on your posts and comments to the display name selected in your User Settings.
- A link to your site is added on your Google+ Profile under the ‘Contributor To‘ section. If you disconnect, you will need to manually remove that link from Google+ if you don’t want it there any more.
- On single Post/Page views only, a Google+ section is added to the Sharing/Like details on your posts that includes a link to your Google+ Profile, a button so people can Follow you on Google+, and your Google avatar (the picture you set on your Google+ Profile). If you disconnect your Jetpack site from your Google+ Profile, this section will no longer be added to your posts (and will be removed from all old posts).
- Verification code will be added to your posts to confirm to Google that you are the author of those posts. Having this code in place means that Google can potentially use it to include additional information in their search results (although they do not guarantee that they will show this extra information). If you disconnect your Jetpack site from your Google+ Profile, this code will no longer be added to your posts (and will be removed from all old posts).
- As you are connecting, if you have an Android device associated with your Google+ profile, you will be able to kick off an Over The Air (OTA) install of the WordPress app for your Android device.
Share to Google+ Button
You can add a sharing button to your posts so that your readers can quickly and easily share your content with their friends/followers.
To add a Google+ button, go to Settings → Sharing in your dashboard, enable the sharing options you want and drag the Google+ button from Available Services to Enabled Services. Read more about this on the Sharing support page.
Embedding Google Content
You can embed Google Docs, including Spreadsheets, Forms and Presentations, directly into your Posts or Pages. Get all of the details you need on this support page.
Want to show people where something is, or how to get somewhere? Grab a Google Map and embed it right into your Post or Page using these instructions.
Embedding a Google Calendar is a great way to maintain a schedule or details of upcoming events on your website. You can manage all the entries via Google Calendar, and have them appear immediately on your blog. Check out how to do that on this support page.
What about adding Google+ to Publicize?
Currently, the ability to connect Publicize to Google+ is a feature only available to WordPress.com users. We are working to add this feature to Jetpack Publicize in the future – keep an eye on our news page for updates.