Thanks to the Publicize module, you can automatically publish each one of your blog posts to your Facebook Profile, or to one of the Facebook Pages you manage.
- Connect your site to your Facebook profile
- Reconnecting Facebook
- How to use Publicize with multiple Facebook Profiles and Pages
- Facebook Open Graph Troubleshooting
Connect your site to your Facebook profile
On the Settings -> Sharing page, click the Add New button next to the Facebook logo. A message will appear asking you to authorize the connection between your WordPress.com blog and your Facebook account, providing access to public profile and friend list.
Click the “Okay” button and Facebook will then ask you to allow WordPress.com to post publicly on your behalf. Click the “Okay” button to allow this.
Finally, you will be prompted to allow WordPress.com to manage your pages. Click “Okay” for this dialog as well.
You’ll then be taken back to your dashboard and will see a success message and dialog. You can choose if you would like to publicize to your profile or one of your pages. You can also make the connection available to all users of the blog. Meaning that when another user creates a post it will also publicize to this Facebook connection.
Note for connecting to pages: You will need to use a Facebook account that has a Profile with administrative rights to the Page. A Page-only account can not be used with Publicize.
Sometimes, the connection between Facebook and Jetpack might get disconnected. Not to worry, the following steps should get you up and running again quickly.
- Log into your site. Go to your dashboard -> Settings -> Sharing and click the X next to the link to the Facebook profile or page you wish to disconnect.
- Reload the page and confirm the link now says Create new Facebook connection, but don’t click that link yet.
- Log into your Facebook account. Then go to your Facebook Account Settings > Apps page by clicking this App Settings link.
- Remove the WordPress.com app by clicking the X in its row. (If there is no WordPress.com row, don’t worry, just skip this step). If you see a popup asking for confirmation, click the “Remove” button.
- Log back into your site. Go to your dashboard -> Settings -> Sharing and follow these steps to reconnect.
How to use Publicize with multiple Facebook Profiles and Pages
Jetpack doesn’t allow you to publicize to multiple pages from a single account, but you can add a new connection to a new Facebook account.
- Start by going to Facebook, and log out of your account.
- Log back in with another Facebook account which is listed as an admin on the Facebook Page.
- You should then be able to go back to Settings > Sharing in your dashboard, and click on “Add a new Connection” to create a new Publicize connection.
I’ve connected Publicize to Facebook, but my posts still do not appear on my Profile or Page
When Jetpack Publicize publishes a post to your Facebook profile or Page, Facebook crawls your post and looks for Open Graph meta tags in the head to build a complete post preview (with an image, title, description, …).
If it detects an error in these Open Graph meta tags, Facebook rejects the Publicized post.
You can see what Facebook sees and check for errors by entering one of your posts’ URLs in Facebook Debugger.
If the debugger reports an error, you’ll need to fix it for Publicize to start working again.
- A common error is a duplicate set of Open Graph meta tags. In such cases, the solution would be to make sure you only use one plugin to manage Open Graph tags.
- Another error can be a wrong Facebook Admin ID. In such cases, start by looking for your current admin ID, and then update your Open Graph plugin to use the correct value.
- Some themes also manage Open Graph meta tags for you. If that’s the case, you’ll need to edit the theme or contact the theme authors to ask them how to remove Open Graph meta data from your theme.
If none of this helps, do not hesitate to contact us!