Instead of typing or copy-pasting long URLs, you can now get a short and simple link to your posts and pages. This uses the super compact wp.me domain name, and gives you a unique URL you can use that will be safe and reliable.
It’s perfect for use on Twitter, Facebook, and cell phone text messages where every character counts.
- Go to Posts/Pages -> Add New or open an existing post/page in editing mode.
- Directly under the title field, next to the post/page Permalink, you will see the Get Shortlink button.
- Click Get Shortlink; a dialog box will appear with the post or page’s shortened URL. Copy it and distribute it as you wish.
Sure, the functionality is the same as other URL shortening services, but WP.me is different in a few ways:
- Every blog and post on WordPress.com and Jetpack-powered blogs have a WP.me URL.
- These are all exposed in the <head> using rel=shortlink.
- It doesn’t work for any URL in the world, just WordPress-hosted ones.
- The links are permanent, they will work as long as WordPress.com is around.
- WP.me is spam-free, because we are constantly monitoring and removing spam from WordPress.com.